1971, the year of our liberation war and independence of Bangladesh, marks a watershed in Bangladesh-Japan friendship. During the war, the Japanese people extended immense support. The great friend of Bangladesh Late Mr. Takashi Hayakawa MP played a leading role in Bangladesh’s support. According to his wish his ashes are kept in Bangladesh. The people of Bangladesh nurture enduring gratitude for all Japanese who stood by us in our trying hours. A bond of mutual goodwill and respect has since developed between the two peoples.
Japan was among the countries that recognized Bangladesh soon after the independence and established diplomatic relations on 10 February 1972. Early that year both countries opened Embassies in each other’s capital. The first ever highest-level visit from Bangladesh was undertaken by Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in 1973, as the Prime Minister of a free and independent Bangladesh. Since then our two countries’ relations have developed steadily and satisfactorily and never looked back.
Functions of Diplomatic Wing:
The Diplomatic Wing of the Embassy is responsible to strengthen and uphold the diplomatic ties between the two countries and therefore, regularly takes necessary steps and actions in this regard. The core functions of the Diplomatic Wing are as below:
- Organization of national events, public diplomacy and image building activities
- Liaise with the host government, semi-government and civil society organizations
- Address issues related to bilateral, regional and multilateral affairs
- Follow various policies of Japan
- Follow Japan’s relations with UN, international and regional organizations
- Follow national security and defense related matters
- Address issues related to disaster and humanitarian affairs
- Provide consular services
- Address matters related to education, science and technology and cultural affairs
- Organization of high-level visits
Recent Achievements of Diplomatic Wing:
- Organize bilateral meetings between Foreign Minister Dr. A.K. Abdul Momen, Mr. HAYASHI Yoshimasa, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan on 11 April 2022 at the Japanese Foreign Ministry.
- Jointly organize a seminar with the Tokyo University of Foreign Studies (TUFS) on the occasion of the 50th anniversary (Golden Jubilee) of independence of Bangladesh on 30 March 2022 in a hybrid webinar format. The title of the Seminar was “Bangabandhu in the International Arena and Bangladesh. Hon'ble Minister for Liberation War Affairs and Hon'ble Foreign Minister of Bangladesh participated the event online.
- Organize a Reception on 28th March 2022 at Hotel New Otani – a historical venue where the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman stayed during his Japan visit in 1973. In the grand reception, approximately 300 guests including high officials from Foreign Ministry and various ministries and agencies of Japan, Members of Parliament, Ambassadors and representatives of diplomatic missions, renowned businesspersons, academicians, journalists from Japan and Bangladeshi expatriates attended. H.E. Mr. Honda Taro, Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan was the Chief Guest. In addition to a number of Ambassadors and high dignitaries, the following dignitaries attended the reception program: H.E. Mr. Shunsuke Mutai State Minister for Environment & Member of the House of Representatives, H.E. Mr. Minoru Kiuchi, Chairperson, Foreign Affairs Committee, House of Representatives, H.E. Mr. Shingo MIYAKE Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs, H.E. Mr. Akihiro Nishimura, Member of the House of Representatives, H.E. Mr. Shinpei Matsushita, Member of the House of Councillors, H.E. Mr. Iwao Horii, Member the House of Councillors, and H.E. Mr. Tatsunori Ibayashi, Member, the House of Representatives and Secretary General, Japan-Bangladesh Parliamentary Friendship League (JBPFL).
- Celebrate the 50th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Bangladesh and Japan on 10 February 2022 by organizing a reception in hotel New Otani. The reception was well attended by high dignitaries as well as representatives from the local embassies, ministries, business houses, media and academia including expatriate Bangladeshis. Parliamentary Vice Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, H.E. Honda Taro was the Chief Guest.
- Organize an exhibition of diplomatic archive documents and photographs showcasing the past and present of the bilateral relations between Bangladesh and Japan on 10th February 2022 at hotel New Otani.
- Print commemorative postal stamps by Japan Post on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Bangladesh and Japan. The Mission also contributed in the design template of the commemorative coins brough by Japan Mint and Bangladesh Bank.
- Facilitate several shipments of over 4.5 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine from Japan to Bangladesh
- Arrange a Blood Donation Event in collaboration with the Japan Red Cross Society on 12 December 2021 to mark the Birth Centenary of the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and the 50th Anniversary of the Glorious Independence of Bangladesh.
- Organized a reception at Okura hotel to celebrate the 50 years of Bangladesh – India Relations through Maitri Diwas or Friendship Day on 06 December 2021 in Tokyo. H.E. Mr. Honda Taro, Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan graced the program as the Chief Guest in presence of Ambassadors of Bangladesh and India.
- Organize a business seminar in collaboration with International Friendship Exchange Council (FEC) on November 16, 2021, with the participation of the Presidents, Chief Executives and General Managers of many renowned Japanese companies who are doing business in Asia and the US. The interested companies later met H.E. Ambassador and officials of the Embassy according to their business interest in Bangladesh.
- Inaugurate the updated version of Citizen Registration for preparing expatriates database in Japan on October 08, 2021.
- Organize competitions of Essay writing and Open Letter Writing on Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman as part of the birth centenary of the Father of the Nation.
- Organize online quiz competition on Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman for celebrating birth centenary of the Father of the Nation.
- Organize an art competition on Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman for celebrating birth centenary of the Father of the Nation.
- Establish “Bangabandhu Corner” in Bangladesh Embassy Tokyo on 20 October 2020.
- Set up a bronze half bust of the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman at the Bangabandhu Corner on 16 December 2021.
- Facilitate participation of 02 (two) dignitaries from Japan in person at the ‘World Peace Conference’ held in Dhaka on 04-05 December 2021. They were Dr. Mikiko Otani and Mr. Tadaaki Kawata.
- Facilitate holding of the telephone conversation between Foreign Minister Dr. A. K. Abdul Momen, MP and the then Foreign Minister of Japan, Mr. MOTEGI Toshimitsu on 22 June 2021 which paved way for discussion on important bilateral issues and COVID-19 vaccine provision and other assistance from Japan.
- Coordinated the participation of the Hon’ble Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina at the High Level Session on the first day of the Nutrition for Growth (N4G) Summit, which was held on 7-8 December 2021. Hon’ble Prime Minister attended the event online as an invited world leader at the event that was attended by Leaders and ministerial level participation from about 30 countries.
- Facilitate Bangladesh’s participation at the Tokyo2020 Olympics in Tokyo in July 2021. Hon’ble State Minister for Youth and Sports led a 23- member Bangladesh delegation to the Games.
- Celebrate all National day and other important events as instructed by the Ministry.
- Publish Embassy Newsletters regularly on embassy website.